Crime

Two men shot in Lancaster in second occupied car shooting in three days, police say

Police car lights in night time, crime scene, night patrolling the city. Abstract blurry image.

Photo by Getty Images

This is a stock image downloaded from Getty Images. It is a Royalty Free image.
Two men were shot and killed in Lancaster in separate incidents Saturday and Sunday, police said. Getty Images/iStockphoto

Two men were shot while sitting in a car in Lancaster Monday night, police said.

The car was parked on North Gregory Street east of downtown around 8 p.m. when the shooting happened, according to a statement from the Lancaster Police Department.

The victims were ages 60 and 61, said Kayla Vaughan, spokesperson for the police department. The men were transported for medical treatment. Their injuries do not appear to be life-threatening, Vaughan said.

The names of the victims have not been released.

Detectives recovered shell casings from fired bullets and other evidence near the shooting scene, Vaughan said.

No motive for the shootings has been released.

Second shooting into a car in three days

Lancaster police and investigators with the Lancaster County Violent Crime Task Force also are investigating another case of shooting into a car, which happened three days earlier in the same neighborhood.

Friday night there was a shooting at the intersection of St. Paul Street and Hughes Street, police said. That site is about three blocks from Gregory Street.

In the Friday night shooting, an occupied car was hit by several bullets around 8:30 p.m., Lancaster police said in a statement. No occupants in that car were hit, police said. Investigators recovered more than 30 shell casings in the road, officials said.

Vaughan said detectives are looking at both cases, but it is unknown if there is any connection between the shootings.

Lancaster, the Lancaster County, South Carolina county seat, is a city of about 9,000 people south of Charlotte and east of Rock Hill.

No arrests have been made in either case.

This story was originally published October 26, 2021 at 4:51 PM.

Related Stories from Rock Hill Herald
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER