Crime

Suspect captured in Lancaster killing was free on bond when he shot victim, cops say

The man deputies in Lancaster County say shot and killed another man Wednesday has been captured.

Raykevis DeMont Nesbit, 31, was caught Thursday afternoon in Kershaw County after a police manhunt since the shooting Wednesday night, said Lancaster County Sheriff Barry Faile.

Nesbit fled Lancaster after he shot Domingo Dijon Champion, 33, Faile said.

Nesbit is charged with murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime. He faces up to life in prison if convicted of murder under South Carolina law.

He is being held without bond at the Kershaw County jail.

Champion was found by police lying in the street around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday on 16th Street near Brooklyn Avenue, Lancaster County deputies said. The area is just outside the Lancaster city limits.

Champion died at Atrium Health hospital in Charlotte after he was airlifted following the shooting, said Lancaster County Coroner Karla Knight Deese. Champion had first been taken to the Medical University of South Carolina hospital in Lancaster after he was found with multiple gunshot wounds, Deese said.

A K-9 unit and other law enforcement officers searched for Nesbit after the shooting, but he eluded police until Thursday.

Faile and sheriff’s office spokesman Doug Barfield said Nesbit is believed to be the sole shooter.

No motive for the shooting was released.

Nesbit had been convicted of crimes three times since 2018 and was on bond at the time Champion was killed, records show.

Nesbit was released on bond after an arrest Sept. 16 in Lancaster for possession of narcotic drugs, according to South Carolina court records.

In June, Nesbit was sentenced to six months in prison after pleading guilty to two counts of resisting arrest in Lancaster County, court records show.

In 2018, Nesbit had a two-year prison sentence suspended after pleading guilty to second-degree domestic violence, court records show. In that case, he was sentenced to two years probation, records show.

The Lancaster shooting follows a mass shooting in late September where a suspect is accused of shooting 10 people after getting on stage at the Ole Skool nightclub. Two victims died in that club shooting.

In July 2018 a 23-year-old man was wounded in a drive-by shooting on 16th Street, deputies said.

Related stories from Rock Hill Herald

Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
  Comments